Assignment: Analysis of Current Evidence Based Practice Guidelines for the Treatment of OM
This Assignment requires a current, evidence based practice guideline that is specific to the child in the following scenario. Once you find the appropriate guideline, you will be ready for analysis and evaluation.
First, carefully review the case. Then, using the online National Guideline Clearinghouse data-base find a current (no older than 4 years old) relevant evidence based practice guideline for the treatment of otitis media for this particular pediatric patient.
Please use APA formatting, including title page and reference page. This Assignment should be between 3-5 pages, excluding title page and reference page. There should be a minimum of three current (within the last 5 years) peer-reviewed references including the authors of the guideline.
Make sure to address the following in your paper:
- Briefly explain your search strategy. For example, how did you find the correct guideline?
- Who developed the guideline?
- Is this a revision of a previous guideline or an original? What is the date of publication?
- Explain the concept of “systematic review of current best evidence.”
- How was conflict of interest managed in the development of these guidelines?
- How is quality of evidence defined?
- Explain differences among strong recommendation, recommendation, and option
- What are “key Action statements?”
- For this particular child, what are the specific treatment recommendations including any diagnostics, medications (include exact dosage, frequency, length of treatment), follow-up, referral, prevention, and pain control.
A 5-year-old male is brought to the primary care clinic by his mother with a chief complaint of bilateral ear pain for the last three days. The mother states that the child has been crying frequently due to the pain. Ibuprofen has provided minimal relief. This morning, the child refused breakfast and appeared to be “getting worse.”
Vital signs at the clinic reveal HR 110 bpm, 28 respiratory rate, and tympanic temperature of 103.2 degrees F. The mother reports no known allergies. The child has not been on antibiotics for the last year. The child does not have history of OM. The child is otherwise healthy without any other known health problems.
After your questioning and examination, you diagnose this child with bilateral Acute Otitis Media.
Helpful tip: It is recommended that you keep all of your course work in a virtual (or physical, or both) portfolio for easy access in clinicals as well as future pediatric encounters.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under Course Documents) to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors.
Submit your Assignment to the unit Dropbox before midnight on the last day of the unit.
Expert Solution Preview
Q: What is the objective of the assignment mentioned in the content above?
The objective of the assignment is for the students to analyze and evaluate a current evidence-based practice guideline specific to a pediatric patient with Acute Otitis Media. They are required to find the appropriate guideline using the online National Guideline Clearinghouse database, explain their search strategy, and evaluate the guideline’s key aspects such as its development, publication date, quality of evidence, conflict of interests, and treatment recommendations for the particular child in the case scenario. The assignment is expected to be between 3-5 pages, excluding title and reference pages, and should also include at least three current peer-reviewed references.