Identification of the Problem Space
The purpose of this assignment is to keep the doctoral learner focused on dissertation success. The Identification of the Problem Space section of the dissertation identifies the problem space in the literature from which the problem statement and research questions emerged. It provides boundaries for the literature review and describes how the study will address the problem. The section describes how the research fits with and will contribute to or advance the current literature or body of research. Although this advancement may be a small step forward in a line of current research, it must add to the current body of knowledge and align to the learner’s program of study.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
Write a report (500-750 words) in which you:
1. Identify the problem space in the literature that was used to define the problem statement and develop the research questions.
2. Describe how your study will fit with and contribute to or advance the current literature or body of research.
THIS IS THE PREVIOUS ASSIGNMENT
TOPIC: Factors Influencing Utilization of Mental Health Services in South Texas
Literature Review: Problem Space
• To research and understand the factors affecting decisions not to utilize Mental Health Services
• Mental disease stigmatization
• Worrying about privacy of their health problem
• High expenses of mental health treatment (Augsberger et al., 2015).
• Causes of the issue
• Having no medical care insurance
• Being afraid that another individual might know.
• Concerns of the mental health facilities failing to meet hygiene standards.
• Lower income earnings makes it had to get mental health services. (Basu et al., 2016); (Hamilton et al., 2016).
• Solving the issue
• Stigma reduction
• Educating people on mental health
• Creation of Awareness. (Velasco et al., 2020); (Volkow, 2020); (Knaak et al., 2017).
Purpose Statement: The purpose of this qualitative descriptive study is to examine how mental health providers and caregivers in South Texas describe the factors that influence utilization of mental health services.
Problem Statement: It is not known how mental health providers and caregivers in South Texas describe the factors that influence utilization of mental health services.
1. RQ1: How do mental health providers describe the factors influencing utilization of mental health services?
2. RQ 2: How do caregivers describe the factors influencing patient’s utilization of mental health services?
To understand why the people living in Southern Texas are not effectively utilizing mental health services (De Luca et al.,2016).
There is a high rate of mental health conditions in Southern Texas (Moreno et al., 2020).
Individuals living in South Texas utilizes very low budget allocation on funding of mental health care (Velasco et al., 2020).
Cost is a factor impacting the population’s utilization of mental health services (Mullet et al., 2020).
Augsberger, A., Yeung, A., Dougher, M., & Hahm, H. C. (2015). Factors influencing the underutilization of mental health services among Asian American women with a history of depression and suicide. BMC Health Services Research, 15(1), 542. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-015-1191-7
Basu, S., Rehkopf, D. H., Siddiqi, A., Glymour, M. M., & Kawachi, I. (2016). Health behaviors, mental health, and health care utilization among single mothers after welfare reforms in the 1990s. American Journal of Epidemiology, 183(6), 531-538. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwv249
Hamilton, J. E., Desai, P. V., Hoot, N. R., Gearing, R. E., Jeong, S., Meyer, T. D., Soares, J. C., Begley, C. E., & Gerson, L. W. (2016). Factors associated with the likelihood of hospitalization following emergency department visits for behavioral health conditions. Academic Emergency Medicine, 23(11), 1257-1266. https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.13044
Knaak, S., Mantler, E., & Szeto, A. (2017). Mental illness-related stigma in healthcare. SAGE Publications. https://doi.org/10.1177/0840470416679413
Moreno, C., Wykes, T., Galderisi, S., Nordentoft, M., Crossley, N., Jones, N., Cannon, M., Correll, C. U., Byrne, L., Carr, S., Chen, E. Y. H., Gorwood, P., Johnson, S., Kärkkäinen, H., Krystal, J. H., Lee, J., Lieberman, J., López-Jaramillo, C., Männikkö, M., . . . Arango, C. (2020). How mental health care should change as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Lancet. Psychiatry, 7(9), 813-824. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30307-2
Volkow, N. (2020). Addressing the Stigma that Surrounds Addiction. https://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida/noras-blog/2020/04/addressing-stigma-surrounds-addiction