1. These muscles are engaged actively during squatting motions. ___________
2. These muscles are actively engaged during arm wrestling. ___________
3. A muscle that flexes is called ____________
4. A muscle that extends is called ___________
5. This muscle lifts the scapula_________
6. These muscles are actively used and injured by soccer players (Clue: I love ham) __________
7. Look at the origin and insertion of quadriceps and hamstring muscles. Explain how their origins and insertions relate to their actions
8. List agonist and antagonist muscle pairs here____________
9. A golfer will have these muscles_____________ more developed than in a soccer player. Explain why ___________________
10. Baseball pitchers usually tear a group of muscles called the ____________. Explain why they tear these muscles.
11. Locate and name key flexors and extensors of the forearm ___biceps brachii, brachialis, brachioradialis, triceps brachii, anconeus________
12. These muscles are more developed in basketball players than in racecars drivers. Explain the reasons for your answers. Triceps, because they are the most important muscles in the upper body for the shooting and passing, followed by the shoulder and chest muscles and while the car racer developed glutes muscle
13. A male soccer player tears the anterior cruciate ligament and damages the meniscus in his left knee. Which muscles need to be strengthened around this knee? the front and back muscles of the thigh quadriceps and hamstrings.
14. The gluteal muscles are ___ gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and gluteus minimus. ________. List exercises you would do to strengthen your gluteal muscles. Explain how your chosen exercises relate to the origin and insertion of these muscles. Downward Dog, Forward-leaning lunge, fire hydrants, single-leg step-ups, and Bulgarian split squats. Origin; Posterior gluteal line of the ilium and portion of the bone superior and posterior to it. Posterior surface of the lower part of sacrum. Insertion; the deeper fibers of the distal portion of the muscle form an aponeurosis which attaches to the gluteal tuberosity of the femur.
15. Serena Williams is a tennis player who has won a lot of Grand Slams. Watch a video of her playing and explain how the prominent muscles she has helps her game
16. For arm wrestlers to be successful, they must develop these muscles __ Biceps brachii, Pronator teres, Pectoralis major and Flexor carpi ulnaris _________
17. These muscles are hip flexors_____ iliacus, psoas major iliopsoas, _________. List 2 exercises that strengthen the hip flexors? Lunges, floor-sliding mountain climbers, Skater squats
18. Explain the meaning behind the name of muscle 58___ the latissimus Doris muscle is a broad, flat muscle that occupies the majority of the lower posterior thorax.
19. Flexion of muscle 138 and its adjacent muscles will cause these superior muscles to contract ________________
20.Bench presses will make these muscles bigger. _____ triceps, _______________________
21. Explain whys bicep curls make the biceps get bigger (Think in terms of origin and insertion) The origin at the scapula and the insertion into the radius of the biceps brachii means it can act on both the shoulder joint and the elbow joint, which is why this muscle participates in a few movements of the arm.
22. A hunter who uses a bow and arrow in hunting will have these muscles well defined _____ Anterior deltoids.
23. Apes typically hang from trees all day. This hanging motion causes definition and hypertrophy in these muscles______ the increase in muscle fiber cross sectional area that is accompanied by an increase in muscle volume and mass _______
24. In swimmers, muscle 58 is usually very well defined. Explain why this is so. (Think in terms of the origin and insertion of this muscle)