1. A description of the retail travel environment (P1). Your description should include:
• The role of the different types of retail agents;
• The products and services offered by retail agents;
• The links that exist within the retail travel environment;
• The different types of relationships that exist within the retail travel industry. You should provide named examples of retail travel agencies to support your descriptions.
1. An explanation of the importance of links and relationships within the retail travel environment (M1). You should develop the information you provided for P1, by considering why these links exist, why relationships are formed and how they affect the organisations concerned.
2. A description of retail travel operational practices (P2). Your description should include information on:
a. The different types of relationships that exist within the retail travel industry. You should provide named examples of retail travel agencies to support your descriptions
b. Working practices;
iii. Trade associations and licensing.
You should provide named examples of retail travel agencies to support your descriptions
3. A comparison of the effectiveness of the operational practices of two different types of retail agent (M2). You should draw on the information you provided for P2, looking at the similarities and differences between the two agents and the effectiveness of their operational practices. Your evidence must be current and include specific examples.
4. An analysis of how the use of technology has impacted on the retail travel environment and retail operational practices (D1). You should progress your understanding from P1, P2 and M1 by focusing on the impact that technology has had on the present day retail travel environment and how it has changed the way in which retail travel agents operate. You should provide real examples to illustrate your analysis
a. An explanation of how different types of retail travel agents seek to gain competitive advantage (P3). You must provide examples from a minimum of two (3 is best if possible) different types of retail travel agent. Your explanation should include information on the following techniques:
• Level of service;
• Staff training;
• Promotional activities;
• Range of products and services;
• Add-on sales, ancillary products and services;
• Dynamic packaging;
• Integrated organisations.
b. A comparison of the effectiveness of the techniques used by two retail agents to gain a competitive advantage (M3). You should consider both the similarities and the differences of the techniques being used and compare the effectiveness of these techniques in gaining competitive advantage. Your evidence must be current and include specific examples.
c. Recommendations on the use of alternative techniques to gain further competitive advantage for two retail travel agents (D2). You must justify your recommendations by having reasoning and evidence to support your suggestions. You should use the same two retail agents used for M3.